Friday, February 10, 2012

Will he sit on the mat?

Back to school. For most of us. Me, Tickles and now for the first time Giggles.
One and a half weeks in and I`m flopping exhausted.

Being a Year 1 school teacher I never seem to exactly remember the absolute comatose stage I hit at this time every year. Maybe I was too comatose to remember. How would I describe it. Meeting 25 new excited faces who start Year 1 for the first time. Meeting their parents for the first time. Their grandparents. Setting in routines. Battling the crazy heat we have been having, eating their lunch. Slowing all systems down as the children learn where to go to the toilet, where to go when you need a bandaide, how to rule up , remembering to pack a hat, and of course take lessons in history, science, maths, english , computing, sport, library , art, dance, drama... the list is like a Phd in Year 1. Seriously. These gorgeous darlings really are precious how they take it in their stride and trust me completely and after 8 days I`m in love. . How can I resist when they say,

`` Please Mrs Summerfield, when do we have free play? ``
And free play they have.... louder than a road train coming down a hill with its breaks on, but sweeter than honey from a hive.

Admist this craziness I have tried to catch those special moments when my Giggles has gone to kindy for the first staggered intake.

Day 1. At 10 am I had two teacher aides asking me what I should do to stop my son from screaming because he wanted his lunchbox. His father who unknowingly just packed his recess( which was he thought was neccesary considering Giggles day stopped at 11am )
He cried because his apple wasn`t his lunchbox. Because everyone had a lunchbox and he didn`t. The lunchboxes so nicely chosen on a Big W sale in the holidays in hopefully preparing him for a smooth day.

After Day 1. Discovered Giggles teacher ( who I adore !!!! Really she is incredible and I think she should get a 6 figure sum for being responsible for forty 3 year olds on a weekly basis) requested from the school psych to have as much as aide time as possible. :(


Day 2. Giggles discovers that  he can play with playdough, paint, sand and toy plastic fans. Even more so if he sits on the mat.

I love him. Even though he may jump up and down on his lunchbox screaming because he doesn`t know to zip it closed and roll around on the mat like a watermelon. ( Yes he does both), I love it how he will laugh out loud because his teacher draws a fan on the board to get his attention. I love the fact he has his best cousin Joel, partner in kindy crime to hang out with and to swap lunches with. ( Yes they did that too)
Even though there will be many tough days that define what is his schooling experience may be, I just want to see that smile. It is priceless and I wouldn`t have him any other way.

We are yet to find ways for him to ask for help and not scream in frustration. ( A goal for Term 1 at  his autism association  kindy which he also attends two mornings a week)
But we may have tackled the wriggles our Giggles has on the mat.
Its one of these...
GROOVY I know.

Its called a  Deep Pressure Sensory Vest.
Description is as follows:

``Designed with a latex free, breathable material, this material has perforations throughout the rubberized layer of fabric, allowing them to "breath" eliminating or at least reducing the problem of over-heating. It should be noted that even though this material allows the skin to breathe, it is still recommended that you periodically check for over-heating or skin irritation. Designed to "hug" snuggly to the body, providing proprioceptive deep pressure feedback, stability and skills evenly over the area worn.``

In other words this will help Giggles to recieve sensory imput to help him to calm down. He tried one at his therapy and loved it. We are getting one. Except when it arrives Chris is going to sew spaceman springy laces and rocket ship on the front. Or Elastogirl from the Incredibles. I want Giggles to feel like he is a superhero.

Because in our eyes, he is.

Some extra photos for the week.Our Dyson vacuum cleaner broke two weeks ago. Chris ordered a new motor and spent the afternoon reassembling it. Giggles idea of heaven.




 Sweet dreams my superhero...


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad there have been some positive moments in these first weeks of school. It is such a hard time for everyone. I hope the vest really helps - who wouldn't want to be getting a hug without anyone touching them (especially for our dear ones with sensory issues). Take care of you too Nyree!!

    Vxx

    ReplyDelete