Monday, November 28, 2011

Knowledge is power

I am learning that KNOWLEDGE about Autism is a good thing. I remember attending the autism Asia pacific conference in September and there were many parents and carers who said they had gained a degree in autism.( Not with paper, just with time) The questions we ask, the websites we visit , the endless resources we buy and the people we talk to all to try and find a way to decode this `autism` thing.

One presenter( Livan Jones) a mother or 7 year old Caleb, said ``I am my sons biggest voice I don't know autism but I know my son``.
This for me rings true so much. I am overwhelmed by this gigantic thing that encapsulates my son. Questions that I have. How will he cope in kindy? How will he share? How will he move on from obsessions? Will he misunderstood? and yes... meltdowns.

I have the absolute advantage of teaching at the school where my children go. And I LOVE my job. I LOVE my colleagues. They are really seriously amazing. The amount of angst and love that I see behind the scenes from these teachers is real and rare. I know my boy will be in beautiful care. But Autism is still such a strange and unusual thing.

The quote ` When you have met one child with autism, you have met one child with autism.`` is very true. So its not a case of one size fits all. If I can be part of a process where I can educate and inform teachers and parents about what autism sort of looks like and give strategies I am hoping this will be okay. But is it enough?

I have heard stories from parents where their own darling did not receive any birthday invites since Year One. Where these children are `tolerated` but not picked as the first child to be in a group for an activity.

I see it. I see this happening with children who have autism. Will I need to beg mums to invite my boy to a birthday party? Will I have to have play dates and bribe the children with a freddo to join in his games? Will I have to awkwardly smile to face the wide birth of parents who have stories of my boy hurting, hitting , crying their child? Will he ever have a soul mate ?
Will he ever have a friend who will travel through their school years with him and want to be his friend just because he is?

I know these questions are crazy. My boy is three. A beautiful three year old who giggles at the stars at night. But he is about to leave his protected little cocoon that Chris has given him so wonderfully into a bigger world where not everyone will be an aunty, a cousin , an oma... who are so precious to me for the way they put up with his quirks.

I have to believe that knowledge is power in autism. Maybe I can be part of a world which will create a united togetherness as we educate those precious angels who are born with autism.

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile. ~Author Unknown

5 comments:

  1. The thing I would like to say is that before I had kids (and during) the one thing I was always a bit afraid of was, Autism, why? It just seemed that parents of Autistic children always have to work so so hard.

    But...now that I have met "one child with Autism", I have been beautifully enlightened, I truly too hope some of the issues that dog other children with Autism do not become Elijah's, but I certainly do adore him, and am REALLY enjoying learning about him, and what is cool about a fan or drill bit, or just how easy it is to spin really anything if you just try. But what I am enjoying more than anything is him, I get SO excited when he runs up to me to show me something, calls me by name, or smiles at ME....I am so blessed to be in his close circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol :)Love you lots. thanks for your other comments too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nyree, I have a son whose best friend has Autism, they have been friends since Pre-primary, and even though our friends now live overseas, Caleb still counts Samuel as his best friend - I pray that your beautiful Elijah will find that one friend who will be his friend & love him the way his family does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're writing this excellent, honest blog. Thanks for sharing this part of your life - and Elijah's life, of course. Great to know what your family's going through better and learn some things about autism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your supportive comments :)

    ReplyDelete